Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In a blur of jet-lagged haze...

I'm writing this at 10.30am on Tuesday morning. I've been unable to go to work today as my functionability is limited to lying in bed moving my fingertips on the laptop. We both went to bed early and went straight off to sleep but woke up at 2am and didn't go back to sleep. We were wide awake all night and even the trusted 'becky always falls asleep when watching a dvd' method didn't work!

Dan has bravely gone off to work but I am a weakling and have resorted to self-pity and rest at home.

In case you wonder what I'm talking about, on Sunday we returned from a three week visit to the UK. I'm not sure where to start with the tale of our trip and I'm probably not going to go into it in my usual 'all out' manner. I'm too tired and drained to do that!

In a nutshell, it was lovely to be back in the UK and to catch up with family and friends. It was especially lovely that my sister announced she is pregnant (with her 4th - go Sis!) and my brother announced he 'might' be getting married (date and venue planned, just waiting for the proposal... there is a sweepstake). We also surprised Dan's Dad with our appearance at his 60th birthday party - a great evening and brilliant fun keeping the secret until then!

The big surprise!



I was amazed at how 'small' things felt - not in a bad way, but as the Americans would say in a 'quaint' way. The trees seemed extremely bushy and green and the air was quite thick with pollen - quite a different climate to what we have become used to. All in all, it was lovely.

At my Mum & Dads



I am sad to write that at the end of our trip Dan's Grandpa passed away. We had spent a lovely week with Gran and Grandpa and whilst Grandpa had been poorly, we hadn't expected it so soon. We postponed our trip back to Adelaide and spent time with the family. Grandpa was the number one fan of my blog and it is sad to think he won't be reading this post. We will really miss him.

With Gran & Grandpa



To finish up, I can't help but have a quick brag that the only flights available back to Adelaide were in Business Class... ok, it cost us our life savings but wow, what an experience! To lie down on an aeroplane with a proper duvet and pillow; have an a-la-carte meal and breakfast; drink champers and eat olivers before take off; and have a massage function on the seat is certainly one of lifes little treats! Highly recommended! Now we need to work out how we're going to fund this lifestyle we've become accustomed to!

No comments: